PSA: YouTube - Where is the Diversity?

Youtube Pictures, Images and Photos

I have been debating for the last couple of days whether or not to speak about a growing concern of mine. I love YouTube and the wealth of information it has, but I am noticing an abundance of the same types of videos. Honestly, when I first became addicted (lol) to watching videos on YouTube, I was searching for different ways to care for my natural hair. Now, almost two years later I have grown what was once short natural hair to almost APL and learned a bunch of new acronyms in the process.

My concern comes when I began to search for other important topic and the results are minimal. YouTube has opened a forum where people can express themselves, showcase their talents, and introduce new business ideas all while reaching thousands of people. I did a basic search on "natural hair" and the search results came back with over 870,000 videos that had "natural hair" in the description. WOW, is all I could say, now when I typed in "personal growth and development" maybe 5,000 results returned. I also searched for "credit repair tips" "budgeting tips" and the results did not compare to those of "natural hair", "outfit of the day", or "make-up tutorials" to name a few.

It saddens me that everyday there are people and families struggling due to financial circumstances, emotional issues, or just plain losing faith in life and want someone they can relate to or to share some advice on what fot them through. Instead, there are more and more videos of people teaching you the latest dance, how they detangle their hair, or what new clothes or products they bought. I hope in the near future those search result numbers will change and people will add informative videos that will not only help themselves but those who maybe searching for great financial tips or even an encouraging word.

This isn't to say Youtube is a good thing gone bad but it would be nice to see a more beneficial information related to daily life. I will admit though Youtube will remain in my favorites folder in the event I want to know about a product.

Peace and Blessings

Comments

Popular Posts