Hampster Wheel Mentality

Have you ever sat quietly with your eyes closed envisioning what you would rather be doing at that very moment? Or have you ever been so distracted by what you are passionate about you can’t focus on work. I don’t have statistics but in my opinion that represents at least 75% of the working population. I like to think of it as the “Hampster Wheel Mentality” we get up every day to do the same thing over and over and over again, with no peace or joy. While hoping and wishing for more, struggling mentally and emotionally over a decision to make a change and jump off the wheel and not look back. Now, this may or may not apply to you, some people are fine and need daily instruction and/or structure. If that is the case then I repeat "stay on the wheel" you may get hurt jumping off. Seriously, this is for those who know there is something missing in their life.


Where is this going you ASK, well.....

I have been a hamster for many years, due to being conditioned that way. Yes, I was raised to go to school, get a good education and this would lead to a good job (yeah right) and all would be right with the world. Well somehow I must have missed a few steps along the way, because all isn’t right. I am tired, frustrated, let alone not making the money I would really like to make. Not to mentioned I have no time to enjoy the many beautiful places and things GOD has scattered over this beautiful earth. After sitting and thinking I began to question myself was I not grateful for what I do have. That was the little devil sitting on my shoulder, lol! Is is wrong to want more, to be able to do more and share more with my family? Not just more things but more time, more freedom. I realized shortly after having this conversation with myself that; I am thankful for what I have GOD knows my heart. And why should I be content with the mundane routine?

I know the biggest reason for staying on the hamster wheel is:

Fear - An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat. The unknown, whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid, apprehension.

Sure, I have found the answer but what about the solution. How do I step out into the unknown and not be fearful? That is like walking to the edge of and cliff and not looking down to see if there is a landing. Or crossing a railroad track with a blindfold on (yeah maybe a little extreme) but you get the point.

Today, I have decided to challenge myself to let go of fear, will you join me!

To be continued.......

Comments

Popular Posts