LIFE...what an inspiration, if I was a musician I would have quite a soundtrack playing in the background. Everyday something
happens which make me reflect on the people, things and world around me. Today's rant....

It's Saturday morning which is usually a day when I get up early and clean my home thoroughly. As a child, I would remember getting up, turning on the music and commence to cleaning, removing and washing all the linen, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. I would blast the music from one room and have at it and the same rings true today even with my children. Unfortunately, they do not have the same enthusiasm as I did.

Today, I planned to incorporate some lawn work because my grass definitely needed some attention. After relentlessly trying to get my lawnmower to start I figured there must be something wrong with it and instead of pulling out my Handy Mandy tool kit I called a neighbor and requested to use his lawnmower. So, of course he obliged and said he would bring it right over. As I sat and waited I began to think to myself, WOW todays men really SUCK! Now, before you call me an angry black women and I'm bashing men hear me out.

Never once has any guy I know ever offered to come by and cut the grass. I don't want to make this about cutting grass but more so the lack of initiative for men to do something for a women just because...never once have I gotten a phone call that remotely sounded like, "Hey, is there anything you need taken care, are you good? When was the last time your oil was changed in your car or is anything broken that needs to be fixed, damn something? Obviously am not helpless and very independent when it comes to minor household repairs but it would be nice for a man to offer.

Are these questions men only ask females they are interested in pursuing? Are people so closed off and in their own worlds that doing general community service or kind deeds for others no longer exist or are considered? I am speaking on my personal experiences so maybe it is the quality of men I know - but geesh! I feel we are in a society where everyone is out for themselves, the only way you are able to get something is if you are giving. I can almost bet if I was advertising coochie or a meal suitable for the last supper I would have no problem with a man coming to cut the grass, change the oil, replace all the light bulbs or even remodel the kitchen. Have we gone back to the days of bartering? If that's the case I need to get my lawnmower fixed ASAP...

Or on the flip side of things, are women so "do it yourself" that men no longer feel the need to run to a women's rescue? Ha...that's a lie my grass was almost knee deep one time I don't recall a stampede of men coming to save the day. I'm not sure if I will ever know the answer to these questions but one thing I know to be true my grass still needs to be cut today and I better get to it before it gets to hot...damn!

Comments

Popular Posts