My strength is your weakness!

The term “Achilles’ heel” as an expression used for an “area of weakness, vulnerable spot”. It is based on the Greek mythology Achilles. When Achilles was a baby, it was foretold that he would die young. To prevent his death, his mother Thetis took Achilles to the River Styx, which was supposed to offer powers of invulnerability, and dipped his body into the water. But as Thetis held Achilles by the heel, his heel was not washed over by the water of the magical river. Achilles grew up to be a man of war who survived many great battles. But one day, a poisonous arrow shot at him was lodged in his heel, killing him shortly after. Still, Achilles is remembered as one of the greatest fighters who ever lived.

As I look over some of the obstacles and battles of my life there are definitely areas which would be considered vulnerable. However, the last thing I would consider an "area of weakness" would be my children. As a parent your goal should be to nurture, encourage, love, guide and protect the little ones in your life. Everyday that GOD allows me to take another breath it gives me the opportunity to make their futures better than mine, for them to learn from my mistakes and avoid having the same lessons or the unnecessary trials I brought into my life. Those characteristics are far from someone who is weak but in my opinion shows a great amount of strength. Every decision in my life hasn't been perfect...but show me someone who has and I will show you a liar.

Understandably all situations aren't desirable for everyone but I was blessed with the opportunity to raise four caring, smart, and bright boys so GOD must have known it wasn't too much for me to bare. Those who look at mother's with multiple children as their Achilles heel truly do not understand the strength of a real mother and women. One, two, three or four a person with an open heart for love sees far beyond quantity.

“Perhaps, if you weren't so busy regarding my shortcomings, you'd find that I do possess redeeming qualities, discreet as they may be. I notice when the sky is blue. I smile down at children. I laugh at any innocent attempt at humor. I quietly carry the burdens of others as though they were my own. And I say 'I'm sorry' when you don't. I am not without fault, but I am not without goodness either.”
― Richelle E. Goodrich

Comments

Popular Posts