Beauty Doesn't Come in Butt Sizes

I recently watched an episode of Iyanla's "Fix My Life" with former model Anivia Cruz-Dilworth who was obsessed with her body image. She began her career as a plus-size model and received many modeling jobs but thought that enhancing her butt would open new doors. Unfortunately, it opened new doors but not the ones that would propel her modeling career. After multiple black market and unsafe butt shot injections, she obtained the curvaceous body she desired. However, she began losing weight and with her body becoming slimmer and her backside becoming larger, it was difficult to maintain the ideal plus-size image. As a result, she started losing modeling jobs and then they eventually stop coming altogether. Not only was losing the modeling jobs devastating, Anivia's health began to deteriorate as well. She stated the fluid injected into her backside began spreading throughout the lower part of her body. She developed something called granuloma, which is typically produced in response to infection, inflammation, or the presence of a foreign object in the body.

After watching the show, I began to think about my own body image issues and as women I think we all have them. To what extent we are willing to go to alter those issues varies from female to female. While some may use plastic surgery to change or correct what they feel is wrong others will use fitness and nutrition. In my opinion, the use of either one in excess still shows a deeper issue related to self-acceptance. Personally, I say do what will make you happy. HOWEVER, the caveat is you should never be willing to jeopardize your health to achieve an image determined acceptable by others. Unfortunately, I feel we live in a society where women have low self-esteem. We no longer look in the mirror and say, "I am beautiful just the way I am" instead we're looking at all the images surrounding and bombarding us daily. From airbrushed photos to HD makeup - beauty has become nothing but an illusion. In a time where social media has become a part of our daily routine as women, we view images of smaller waists, bigger butts and breast, long straight hair, and flawless skin. When in reality, the average female is not evenly proportioned, skin is less than perfect (due to all the chemicals in the foods we eat - but that is another topic) and we just don't "wake up like this" according to Beyonce.

As stated above, I have struggled with my own body image. As a child and even into adulthood I have been naturally thin. Sorry, no big boobs or big butt for me I literally wore a size 0/2 into my late twenties. While some women struggle with losing weight, I always wanted to gain weight and develop a more womanly body. I'm glad that as I grew into womanhood and put on a little more weight I was able to also learn to love and accept my body. I found through nutrition and exercise I could create my ideal body. Now, am I 100% comfortable with every aspect NO, but I know that I have the ability to correct certain things and only I have to like what I see. I would be lying if I said I've never thought about plastic surgery. However, I know for a fact I would never place myself in the hands of someone who was not licensed and/or certified to practice medicine. If the day ever came where I made the decision to enhance my body it would only be an area I could not naturally correct myself. Realistically, I feel most people understand with age comes certain changes regardless of this so called "ageless" society we live in. So, in closing there isn't a need to be perfect just perfectly content with self. Remember beauty is more than what is on the surface, you can be flawless on the outside but disfigured on the inside.

Comments

Popular Posts